JOB OPENING: Director of Sales & Public Relations
Blackfish Gallery, an artist-owned and operated fine art gallery in Portland, Oregon now in its
44th year seeks a part time Director of Sales and Public Relations. Qualified applicants must be
knowledgeable about the practice and business of fine art. Successful applicants will be person-
able, resilient, team-oriented and able to demonstrate prior success at promoting business in an
Independent Contractor. Approx. 50 hours a month, $1,200 base plus 5% commission on all art
sales, exception on owner-to-owner sales.
1. Maintaining existing and cultivating new client relationships.
2. Developing and executing gallery sales through exhibition, institutional, art fair, and secondary
3. Liaising with the gallery!s owners/artists. Tasks include pursuing exhibition opportunities and
nurturing curator relations, as well as actively seeking opportunities for sales.
4. Oversee general inventory including invoicing and shipping.
5. Designing the monthly PADA ad and compose regular e-mail newsletter.
6. Monitor and respond to email and phone communications and be the public point of contact for
7. Collaborate with the gallery's internal PR committee and support the writing, copy editing, and
proofreading for external content and communications pieces.
8. Target outreach efforts including sub-letting of the gallery space and community outreach
9. Attend and prepare a report for the gallery’s monthly business meeting.
10. Foster partnerships with other cultural institutions and local partners.
11. Train owners/artist on processing sales.
• Proficient with Mac computers, Microsoft Office Suite, and Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop/
• Proficient in social media platforms including experience creating social media campaigns and
content for Instagram and Facebook.
• 1–2 years of professional experience in an equivalent or related position.
• Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, Art and/or comparable
• Excellent organizational and social skills, and the ability to forge positive relationships with the
public and the owners of the gallery.
• Knowledge to clearly articulate the conceptual, historical, and material underpinnings of the
• Self-direction and flexibility, with a keen understanding of the ever-evolving demands of a fine
• Capacity and enthusiasm to interact in diverse group dynamics.
Please send brief cover letter, resume, two work samples and list of three references (two profes-
sional and one personal) to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include the job title "Director of Sales and
Public Relations” in the subject line.